Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I bought a punching bag

Latest physical conditioning idea - punching bag. I bought a water filled bag and hung it up downstairs. Excellent purchase, I just need to get in the habit of actually using it.

It is a great upper body workout - not just arms, but trunk/abs as well. I've got an orange belt in Shotokan Karate, so the punching is fairly straightforward for me. What was most interesting though, was how tiring the workout was. After five minutes, I'm zapped.

Most of the workouts I have found on the internet suggest 1-2 minutes of punching followed by 30-60 seconds (or longer) of rest. This is primarily because it is an anaerobic kind of workout. Arm muscles fatigue too fast to keep going :).

With my stiff hips, I haven't been able to try out much in kicks. Side kicks, I just can't get that high. Front kicks work (barely:), so I may integrate them into the workout over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment