Monday, May 23, 2011

Four-Fold Fitness

This last week was, once again, a bit of struggle physically. Again, I seemed to need caffeine to make it through each work day - really not good.

I had the advantage of having a four day weekend to help get myself back on track, though. So, I had a massage and a chiropractic treatment on Friday. I was quite amazed how many histamines the massage sent through my system. I felt it for a couple of days. As well, this really highlighted some issues I've been having with both my sitting and standing posture. Much to much slumping, to the point of where I am throwing my back out. Rather painful adjustments is the reward for that.

Additionally, I have gathered some Yoga DVDs and starting re-reading through Wholistic Fitness by Steve Ilg. This is a rather fascinating approach to getting and staying fit, which incorporates:
  • Cardio
  • Strength Training
  • Yoga
  • Meditation
These days, I doubt there are many people that would be surprised at including the first two. The third, Yoga, appeals to some, although it is still seen as primarily an exercise regime for women, at least in "good ol' boy" places like Calgary :). Dude - try holding one of the warrior poses for a few minutes.

The fourth is probably the most surprising on the list. For me, when I was actually running long distances in training for the marathon, this just came naturally as part of the run. The part that will push me is that I haven't set aside actual time for this for years.

So, it is time to give it a go. The actual program calls for multiple hours per day of commitment. I am not going to do that. I am going to commit to adding it in all its facets to my day. (say goodbye TV :)

This week, I am going to add Yoga three times and walking (Cardio) three times. I will also meditate once. No strength training.

Next week - update on how that went and what the next week will hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment