Thursday, January 15, 2009

An unexpected way to lose some weight.

This post is a bit of a summary of the past three days.

First, I went for another Chiro / Massage on Monday. The most gratifying thing about that was they could see a significant improvement in the mobility and strength of my left leg.

Digression: I don't believe I have described what happened with that leg. About 20 years ago (early 30s), I decided to take up skiing. So, I bought some skis and together with a former girlfriend, we headed up to Lake Louise ski hill. My intent was to take some lessons while she had a good day skiing.

I did spend the morning on the bunny hill (You can see it to the right of the webcam link above) and really did a good job learning how to snowplow. So, at lunch, I said, "Let's go do a green!" BIG MISTAKE :). I was not prepared for anything bigger than the bunny hill and soon found out after we got off the lift. Unfortunately, one of the things that happened on the slow way down was that I really twisted my left hip and now have some bursitis in that area. While I was running it didn't bother me. Apparently, the hip is a happy joint when the muscles supporting it are strong and supple. When they weaken, it can exact a lot of revenge - hence my last few months of massage and chiro treatments. - End of Digression.


So, that was Monday. On Tuesday, once I got home, I went for a nice run. I set a C2 target of 126 and headed off. However, at about 2/3rds of the way through, my hand hit the @#%@# safety cord and brought the machine and the workout to a screeching halt. Sigh. I finished off with 12 minutes of manual control. At least I did confirm that manual control does show the heart rate at the same time. The really irritating thing was that all record of the workout disappears when the cord is pulled. I will have to just estimate the total workout.

Now, from the "Be-careful-what-you-wish-for" department. I was mentioning to my wife that I thought I should take a few light food days to get past some intestinal issues I've been having the past week and a half. Remember this....

Wednesday morning, I head to the Peridontist for an exam. I have an old root canal that is going bad. At least, I thought it was going to just be an exam... - but no, we proceeded with the extraction (at my choice). Well, that left me with a hole in my head (ha ha :) and no appetite. So, since then, I've had a yogurt, 2 scrambled eggs and a banana. I suspect I will be under the 209 mark this Saturday.

The downside, of course, is that I really can't run or do weights for another day or two. The wound where the extraction was done needs some time to heal first. So, a couple of days off before getting back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment